New Writing Ventures 2007
New Writing Ventures, the awards that offer creative support and
prepare writers for publication, is open for entries for 2007 on
Thursday 19 April. Offering £3,000 to each winner in the
categories of fiction, poetry and creative non-fiction, as well as
a year-long creative mentoring programme with The Literary
Consultancy, and £1,000 to the runners up, New Writing Ventures has
a proven track record of achieving results.
Through a programme of mentoring and a high-profile awards
ceremony in London, this is the only prize which brings publishers
and agents direct to the writers’ doors. As part of the prize
package, New Writing Ventures will introduce winning and
shortlisted writers to the movers and shakers of the publishing
world through its exclusive networking event. Writers will also
have their work sent out to personally selected contacts, assisting
in the tricky process of looking for a deal.
The last two year’s awards have already seen positive
- Eleanor Thom, winner of the 2006 fiction award, was signed up
to the literary agent, A M Heath just weeks after the shortlist was
announced. Says Euan Thorneycroft of A M Heath: “Eleanor Thom
is a hugely talented young writer and I'm really excited about the
novel. She's still working on it but the bits I have read more than
live up to the submission she made to the New Writing Ventures
scheme. She's definitely a talent to watch out for”.
- Liz Diamond has been signed up by Maria Rejt of Picador in a
six-figure two-book deal. Liz was shortlisted for the 2005
Creative Non-Fiction New Writing Ventures Award and went on to take
part in a year-long development programme. Rejt comments: “At a
time in the industry when new authors can struggle to find a
nurturing and supportive home, The New Writing Partnership offers
crucial mentoring and support. I wish this important
initiative continuing and growing success.”
- In addition, two other writers from 2005 have been signed up by
agents and the winner of the poetry award, Valeria Melchioretto,
has a collection of poetry coming out this year. Several other
writers from the 2006 Awards are in discussions with agents and
The 2007 awards are open for entry from 19 April. Closing
date is Thursday 31 May 2007. The winners of the 2007 awards will
announced at a ceremony in September, now acknowledged as an
essential date in the diary of agents and publishers scouting for
new writing talent.
The high profile line-up of judges for the three awards is:
- Fiction: novelist, Louise Doughty; novelist and teacher,
Ardashir Vakil; and Literary Editor of the Daily Mirror,
- Poetry: poet and teacher, Mimi Khalvati; poet and author, Owen
Sheers; writer and Literary Editor of The Times, Erica
- Creative Non-Fiction: writer and journalist, Giles Foden;
journalist, birder and author, Mark Cocker; and Vesna Goldsworthy,
writer and lecturer in English at University College
Notes to Editors
- For further information about the writers and for interviews
contact Colman Getty.
- Chris Gribble, Chief Executive of The New Writing Partnership,
is available for interview.
- The New Writing Ventures Awards are a strand of The New Writing
Partnership, a collaboration between the City of Norwich, the
County of Norfolk, University of East Anglia and Arts Council
England, East. They are administered by the independent charity,
- The two shortlisted writers in the three categories receive a
prize of £1000 each .
- A selections of work by previous winners and shortlisted
writers can be viewed online at www.newwritingpartnership.org.uk/ventures.
- More information about The Literary Consultancy can be found at
- Photographs and logos are available from Colman Getty.
Mark Hutchinson or Jane Acton
Tel: 020 7631 2666
Back to press releases